- [noun] the context and environment in which something is set; "the perfect setting for a ghost story"
- [noun] the state of the environment in which a situation exists; "you can't do that in a university setting"
Synonyms: background, scope
- [noun] arrangement of scenery and properties to represent the place where a play or movie is enacted
Synonyms: mise en scene, stage
- [noun] the physical position of something; "he changed the setting on the thermostat"
- [noun] a table service for one person; "a place setting of sterling flatware"
- [noun] mounting consisting of a piece of metal (as in a ring or other jewelry) that holds a gem in place; "the diamond was in a plain gold mount"
- [adjective] (of a heavenly body) disappearing below the horizon; "the setting sun"