- [noun] shade within clear boundaries
- [noun] an unilluminated area; "he moved off into the darkness"
Synonyms: darkness, dark
- [noun] something existing in perception only; "a ghostly apparition at midnight"
Synonyms: apparition, phantom, phantasm, phantasma
- [noun] a premonition of something adverse; "a shadow over his happiness"
- [noun] an indication that something has been present; "there wasn't a trace of evidence for the claim"; "a tincture of condescension"
Synonyms: trace, vestige, tincture
- [noun] refuge from danger or observation; "he felt secure in his father's shadow"
- [noun] a dominating and pervasive presence; "he received little recognition working in the shadow of his father"
- [noun] a spy employed to follow someone and report their movements
Synonyms: tail, er
- [noun] an inseparable companion; "the poor child was his mother's shadow"
- [verb] follow, usually without the person's knowledge; "The police are shadowing her"
- [verb] cast a shadow over
Synonyms: shade, shade off
- [verb] make appear small by comparison; "This year's debt dwarves that of last year"