- [noun] the state of being silent (as when no one is speaking); "there was a shocked silence"; "he gestured for silence"
- [noun] the absence of sound; "he needed silence in order to sleep"; "the street was quiet"
- [noun] a refusal to speak when expected; "his silence about my contribution was surprising"
- [noun] the trait of keeping things secret
Synonyms: secrecy, secretiveness
- [verb] cause to be quiet or not talk; "Please silence the children in the church!"
Synonyms: hush, quieten, still, shut up, hush up
- [verb] keep from expression, for example by threats or pressure; "All dissenters were silenced when the dictator assumed power"