- [noun] one of a pair of planks used to make a track for rolling or sliding objects
- [noun] a restraint provided when the brake linings are moved hydraulically against the brake drum to retard the wheel's rotation
Synonyms: brake shoe, shoe
- [noun] an unexpected slide
Synonyms: slip, sideslip
- [verb] slide without control; "the car skidded in the curve on the wet road"
- [verb] elevate onto skids
- [verb] apply a brake or skid to
- [verb] move obliquely or sideways, usually in an uncontrolled manner; "the wheels skidded against the sidewalk"
Synonyms: slip, slue, slew, slide