- [noun] a natural protective covering of the body; site of the sense of touch; "your skin is the largest organ of your body"
Synonyms: tegument, cutis
- [noun] the tissue forming the hard outer layer (of e.g. a fruit)
Synonyms: rind, peel
- [noun] an outer surface (usually thin); "the skin of an airplane"
- [noun] body covering of a living animal
Synonyms: hide, pelt
- [noun] a person's skin regarded as their life; "he tried to save his skin"
- [noun] the rind of a fruit or vegetable
- [noun] a bag serving as a container for liquids; it is made from the skin of an animal
- [verb] climb awkwardly, as if by scrambling
Synonyms: clamber, scramble, shin, shinny, struggle, sputter
- [verb] bruise, cut, or injure the skin or the surface of; "The boy skinned his knee when he fell"
- [verb] remove the bark of a tree
- [verb] strip the skin off; "pare apples"
Synonyms: peel, pare
- [verb] strike against an object; "She stubbed her one's toe in the dark and now it's broken"
Synonyms: stub, scrape, abrade