- [noun] a point located with respect to surface features of some region; "this is a nice place for a picnic"
Synonyms: topographic point, place
- [noun] a short section or illustration (as between radio or tv programs or in a magazine) that is often used for advertising
- [noun] a blemish made by dirt; "he had a smudge on his cheek"
Synonyms: smudge, blot, daub, smear, smirch, slur
- [noun] a small contrasting part of something; "a bald spot"; "a leopard's spots"; "a patch of clouds"; "patches of thin ice"; "a fleck of red"
Synonyms: speckle, dapple, patch, fleck, maculation
- [noun] a section of an entertainment that is assigned to a specific performer or performance; "they changed his spot on the program"
- [noun] an outstanding characteristic; "his acting was one of the high points of the movie"
- [noun] a business establishment for entertainment; "night spot"
- [noun] a job in an organization; "he occupied a post in the treasury"
Synonyms: position, post, berth, office, billet, place, situation
- [noun] a slight attack of illness; "he has a touch of rheumatism"
- [noun] a small quantity; "a spot of tea"; "a bit of paper"
- [noun] a mark on a playing card (shape depending on the suit)
- [noun] a lamp that produces a strong beam of light to illuminate a restricted area; used to focus attention of a stage performer
- [noun] a playing card with a specified number of pips on it to indicate its value; "an eight spot"
- [noun] an act that brings discredit to the person who does it; "he made a huge blot on his copybook"
Synonyms: blot, smear, smirch, stain
- [verb] catch sight of
Synonyms: descry, espy, spy
- [verb] mar or impair with a flaw; "her face was blemished"
- [verb] make a spot or mark onto; "The wine spotted the tablecloth"
Synonyms: fleck, blob, blot
- [verb] become spotted; "This dress spots quickly"
- [verb] mark with a spot or spots so as to allow easy recognition; "spot the areas that one should clearly identify"
tarnish, stain, maculate, sully, defile
mottle, dapple, cloud
birthplace, place of birth
polling place, polling station
- hiding place
holy place, sanctum, holy
- nesting place
peak, crown, crest, top, tip, summit
- service area
target, target area
parhelion, mock sun, sundog
blotch, splodge, splotch
worn spot, fret
cabaret, nightclub, club, nightspot
- clip joint
hot spot, hotspot
- hot seat
judgship, judgeship, judicature
- public office