- [noun] process or result of distributing or extending over a wide expanse of space
- [noun] a conspicuous disparity or difference as between two figures; "gap between income and outgo"; "the spread between lending and borrowing costs"
- [noun] farm consisting of a large tract of land along with facilities needed to raise livestock (especially cattle)
Synonyms: ranch, cattle ranch, cattle farm
- [noun] a haphazard distribution in all directions
- [noun] a tasty mixture to be spread on bread or crackers
- [noun] a meal that is well prepared and greatly enjoyed; "a banquet for the graduating seniors"; "the Thanksgiving feast"; "they put out quite a spread"
Synonyms: banquet, feast
- [noun] two facing pages of a book or other publication
Synonyms: head, head, facing pages
- [noun] the expansion of a person's girth (especially at middle age); "she exercised to avoid that middle-aged spread"
- [noun] decorative cover for a bed
Synonyms: bedbedcover, bed cover, bed covering, counterpane
- [noun] act of extending over a wider scope or expanse of space or time
- [verb] distribute or disperse widely; "The invaders spread their language all over the country"
- [verb] become distributed or widespread; "the infection spread"; "Optimism spread among the population"
- [verb] spread across or over; "A big oil spot spread across the water"
- [verb] spread out or open from a closed or folded state; "open the map"; "spread your arms"
Synonyms: unfold, out, open
- [verb] cause to become widely known; "spread information"; "circulate a rumor"; "broadcast the news"
Synonyms: circulate, circularize, circularise, distribute, disseminate, propagate, broadcast, diffuse, disperse, pass around
- [verb] become widely known and passed on; "the rumor spread"; "the story went around in the office"
Synonyms: go around, circulate
- [verb] strew or distribute over an area; "He spread fertilizer over the lawn"; "scatter cards across the table"
Synonyms: scatter, out
- [verb] move outward; "The soldiers fanned out"
Synonyms: diffuse, out, fan out
- [verb] cover by spreading something over; "spread the bread with cheese"
- [verb] distribute over a surface in a layer; "spread cheese on a piece of bread"
- [adjective] distributed or spread over a considerable extent; "has ties with many widely dispersed friends"; "eleven million Jews are spread throughout Europe"
- [adjective] prepared or arranged for a meal; especially having food set out; "a table spread with food"
- [adjective] fully extended in width; "outspread wings"; "with arms spread wide"
diffuse, spread, spread out, fan out
popularize, popularise, vulgarize, vulgarise, generalize, generalise
grow over, creep
margarine, margarin, oleo, oleomargarine, marge
- nut butter
- peanut butter
- marshmallow fluff
- onion butter
- pimento butter
- shrimp butter
- lobster butter
- cheese spread
- anchovy butter
- garlic butter
hummus, humus, hommos, hoummos, humous
center spread, centre spread
- quilted bedspread
dispersion, dispersal, dissemination, diffusion
scatter, scattering, strewing