- [noun] an energetic attempt to achieve something; "getting through the crowd was a real struggle"; "he fought a battle for recognition"
- [noun] an open clash between two opposing groups (or individuals); "the harder the conflict the more glorious the triumph"
Synonyms: conflict, battle
- [noun] strenuous effort; "the struggle to get through the crowd exhausted her"
- [verb] make a strenuous or labored effort; "She struggled for years to survive without welfare"; "He fought for breath"
- [verb] to exert strenuous effort against opposition; "he struggled to get free from the rope"
- [verb] climb awkwardly, as if by scrambling
Synonyms: clamber, scramble, shin, shinny, skin, sputter
- [verb] be engaged in a fight; carry on a fight; "the tribesmen fought each other"; "Siblings are always fighting"
tug, labor, labour, push, drive
- bear down
- join battle
fight, oppose, fight back, fight down, defend
settle, get back
- fight back
class struggle, class war, class warfare
rebellion, insurrection, revolt, rising, uprising
- turf war
fight, fighting, combat, scrap
wrestle, wrestling, grapple, grappling, hand-to-hand struggle