- [noun] the heading or position of a vessel relative to the trim of its sails
- [noun] a short nail with a sharp point and a large head
- [noun] gear for a horse
Synonyms: stable gear, saddlery
- [noun] (nautical) a line (rope or chain) that regulates the angle at which a sail is set in relation to the wind
Synonyms: sheet, mainsheet, weather sheet, shroud
- [noun] (nautical) the act of changing tack
- [noun] sailing a zigzag course
- [verb] fasten with tacks; "tack the notice on the board"
- [verb] turn into the wind; "The sailors decided to tack the boat"; "The boat tacked"
Synonyms: wear round
- [verb] make by putting pieces together; "She pieced a quilt"; "He tacked together some verses"
Synonyms: assemble, piece, put together, set up, together
- [verb] sew together loosely, with large stitches; "baste a hem"
- [verb] fix to; attach; "append a charm to the necklace"
Synonyms: append, tag on, on, hang on
- [verb] reverse (a direction, attitude, or course of action)
Synonyms: interchange, switch, alternate, flip, flip-flop
confect, confection, comfit
jumble, confuse, mix up
- rig up
- carpet tack
thumbtack, drawing pin, pushpin
caparison, trapping, trappings, housing, housings
saddle blanket, saddlecloth, horse blanket
- futtock shroud