- [noun] an exchange of ideas via conversation; "let's have more work and less talk around here"
- [noun] (`talk about' is a less formal alternative for `discussion of') discussion; "his poetry contains much talk about love and anger"
- [noun] the act of giving a talk to an audience; "I attended an interesting talk on local history"
- [noun] a speech that is open to the public; "he attended a lecture on telecommunications"
Synonyms: lecture, public lecture
- [noun] idle gossip or rumor; "there has been talk about you lately"
Synonyms: of the town
- [verb] exchange thoughts; talk with; "We often talk business"; "Actions talk louder than words"
- [verb] express in speech; "She talks a lot of nonsense"; "This depressed patient does not verbalize"
Synonyms: speak, utter, mouth, verbalize, verbalise
- [verb] use language; "the baby talks already"; "the prisoner won't speak"; "they speak a strange dialect"
- [verb] reveal information; "If you don't oblige me, I'll talk!"; "The former employee spilled all the details"
- [verb] divulge confidential information or secrets; "Be careful
Synonyms: spill the beans, let the cat out of the bag, tattle, blab, peach, babble, sing, babble out, blab out
- [verb] deliver a lecture or talk; "She will talk at Rutgers next week"; "Did you ever lecture at Harvard?"
continue, go on, carry on, proceed
- talk down
- talk turkey
monologuize, monologuise, soliloquize, soliloquise
chat up, flirt, dally, butterfly, coquet, coquette, romance, philander, mash
dish the dirt, gossip
vocalize, vocalise, phonate
lip off, shoot one's mouth off
- speak up
- speak in tongues
talk of, talk about
blubber, blubber out
drone, drone on
bumble, stutter, stammer, falter
blurt out, blurt, blunder out, blunder, ejaculate
tone, inflect, modulate
chatter, piffle, palaver, prate, tittle-tattle, twaddle, clack, maunder, prattle, blab, gibber, tattle, blabber, gabble
yack, jaw, yack away, rattle on, yap away
- open up
mumble, mutter, maunder, mussitate
rant, mouth off, jabber, spout, rabbit on, rave
hiss, sizz, siss, sibilate
tone, chant, intone
- run on
cant, pious platitude
dialogue, dialog, duologue
- shop talk
wind, idle words, jazz, nothingness
yak, yack, yakety-yak, chatter, cackle
- chalk talk