- [adverb] in the third place; "third we must consider unemployment"
- [noun] one of three equal parts of a divisible whole; "it contains approximately a third of the minimum daily requirement"
- [noun] the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed near 3rd base; "he is playing third"
- [noun] following the second position in an ordering or series; "a distant third"; "he answered the first question willingly, the second reluctantly, and the third with resentment"
- [noun] the musical interval between one note and another three notes away from it; "a simple harmony written in major thirds"
- [noun] the third from the lowest forward ratio gear in the gear box of a motor vehicle; "you shouldn't try to start in third gear"
- [noun] the base that must be touched third by a base runner in baseball; "he was cut down on a close play at third"
- [adjective] coming next after the second and just before the fourth in position
Synonyms: 3rd, tertiary
- [adjective] being one of three equal parts; "a third share of the money"