- [noun] extreme mental distress
Synonyms: anguish, torment
- [noun] unbearable physical pain
- [noun] intense feelings of suffering; acute mental or physical pain; "an agony of doubt"; "the torments of the damned"
Synonyms: agony, torment
- [noun] the act of distorting something so it seems to mean something it was not intended to mean
Synonyms: distortion, overrefinement, straining, twisting
- [noun] the act of torturing someone; "it required unnatural torturing to extract a confession"
- [verb] torment emotionally or mentally
Synonyms: torment, excruciate, rack
- [verb] subject to torture; "The sinners will be tormented in Hell, according to the Bible"
Synonyms: excruciate, torment