- [verb] refuse to accept; "He refused my offer of hospitality"
Synonyms: refuse, reject, pass up, decline
- [verb] refuse entrance or membership; "They turned away hundreds of fans"; "Black people were often rejected by country clubs"
Synonyms: reject, turn away, refuse
- [verb] reject with contempt; "She spurned his advances"
Synonyms: reject, spurn, freeze off, scorn, pooh-pooh, disdain
- [verb] take a downward direction; "The economy finally turned down after a long boom"
- [verb] make lower or quieter; "turn down the volume of a radio"
Synonyms: lower, lour