- [noun] confused movement; "he was caught up in a whirl of work"; "a commotion of people fought for the exits"
- [noun] the shape of something rotating rapidly
Synonyms: swirl, vortex, convolution
- [noun] a usually brief attempt; "he took a crack at it"; "I gave it a whirl"
Synonyms: crack, fling, go, pass, offer
- [noun] the act of rotating rapidly; "he gave the crank a spin"; "it broke off after much twisting"
Synonyms: spin, twirl, twist, twisting
- [verb] turn in a twisting or spinning motion; "The leaves swirled in the autumn wind"
Synonyms: twirl, swirl, twiddle
- [verb] cause to spin; "spin a coin"
Synonyms: birl, spin, twirl
- [verb] flow in a circular current, of liquids
Synonyms: eddy, purl, pool, swirl
- [verb] revolve quickly and repeatedly around one's own axis; "The dervishes whirl around and around without getting dizzy"
Synonyms: spin, spin around, reel, gyrate
- [verb] fly around; "The clothes tumbled in the dryer"; "rising smoke whirled in the air"
Synonyms: tumble, around