- [verb] produce a literary work; "She composed a poem"; "He wrote four novels"
Synonyms: compose, pen, indite
- [verb] communicate or express by writing; "Please write to me every week"
- [verb] have (one's written work) issued for publication; "How many books did Georges Simenon write?"; "She published 25 books during her long career"
- [verb] communicate (with) in writing; "Write her soon, please!"
Synonyms: drop a line
- [verb] communicate by letter; "He wrote that he would be coming soon"
- [verb] write music; "Beethoven composed nine symphonies"
- [verb] mark or trace on a surface; "The artist wrote Chinese characters on a big piece of white paper"
- [verb] record data on a computer; "boot-up instructions are written on the hard disk"
- [verb] write or name the letters that comprise the conventionally accepted form of (a word or part of a word); "He spelled the word wrong in this letter"
write on, write of, write about
- write off
dash off, knock off, toss off, fling off
- write copy
dramatize, dramatise, adopt
verse, versify, poetize, poetise
write out, write up
- write in
encode, code, encipher, cipher, cypher, encrypt, inscribe, write in code
jot down, jot
write down, set down, get down, put down
write out, issue, make out, cut
- write up
- set to music