Yield: 6 Servings
- 4 tb Unsalted butter
- 1 ts Unsalted butter
- 3 tb Flour
- 1/2 ts Salt
- 1/4 ts Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 ts Ground mace
- 1 c Milk
- 1/2 c Whipping cream
- 10 1/2 oz Frozen asparagus spears -cooked according to the - package directions - and drained well.
- 2 lg Eggs hard-cooked - peeled & coarsely chopped
- 3/4 c Grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c Minced blanched almonds
- 1 c Soft white bread crumbs
- 1/4 c Freshly grated Parmesan
PREHEAT OVEN TO 350F. In a medium saucepan set over moderate heat melt the butter. Spoon 4 teaspoons of the melted butter into a bowl. Set aside. Blend the flour salt pepper and mace into the rest of the butter and let it sit over low heat for 1-to-2 minutes. Add the milk and cream and cook the sauce stirring constantly for about 3 minutes until it has become thick and smooth. In a well-buttered 2-quart casserole alternate layers of the asparagus eggs Cheddar cheese and almonds. Pour the cream sauce over the layers. Combine the reserved butter bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese and scatter the topping over the layers. Combine the reserved butter bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese and scatter the topping over the surface of the casserole. Bake the uncovered casserole for about 30 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the topping is tipped with brown.