Greek christmas bread
Yield: 15 servings
- 1 pk (or 1 tablespoon) Active Dry 1 Egg -Yeast 1/4 c Milk
- 1/4 c Warm Water (110 to 115 1/4 c Vegetable Oil -degrees) 1 1/2 c Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/3 c Sugar 1 c All-Purpose Flour
- 1 ts Ground Cardamom 1/4 c Golden Raisins
- 1/4 ts Salt 1/4 c Walnuts
chopped Keywords: Ovo-Lacto Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Combine the sugar cardamom salt egg milk and oil in a large bowl. Mix well. Add the yeast mixture flours raisins and nuts. Mix well. Add enough extra flour to make soft dough. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic about 5 minutes. Shape into a round loaf. Put the dough into a lightly-oiled 8-inch-round cake pan. Cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk about 1 hour. Bake in a 350-degree oven 35 to 40 minutes or until brown. Serves 15 One Serving = Calories: 147 Carbohydrates: 22 Protein: 4 Fat: 6 Sodium: 40 Potassium: 101 Cholesterol: 18 Exchange Value: 1 Bread Exchange + 1/2 Fruit Exchange + 1 Fat Exchange Source: Holiday Cookbook American Diabetes Association ISBN 0-13-024894-0 by Betty Wedman M.S. R.D.