- [noun] someone new to a field or activity
Synonyms: novice, beginner, tyro, tiro
- [noun] someone who has been admitted to membership in a scholarly field
Synonyms: learned person, pundit, savant
- [noun] people who have been introduced to the mysteries of some field or activity; "it is very familiar to the initiate"
- [verb] bring into being; "He initiated a new program"; "Start a foundation"
Synonyms: originate, start
- [verb] take the lead or initiative in; participate in the development of; "This South African surgeon pioneered heart transplants"
- [verb] accept young people into society, usually with some rite; "African men are initiated when they reach puberty"
- [verb] bring up a topic for discussion
- [verb] prepare the way for; "Hitler's attack on Poland led up to World War Two"
Synonyms: lead up
lead up, initiate
go back, date back, date from
- strike up
trip, actuate, trigger, activate, set off, spark off, spark, trigger off, touch off
establish, found, plant, constitute, institute
stage, bring about, arrange
undertake, set about, attempt
organize, organise, prepare, devise, get up, machinate
cover, treat, handle, plow, deal, address
apprentice, learner, prentice
cub, greenhorn, rookie
landlubber, lubber, landsman
newcomer, fledgling, fledgeling, starter, neophyte, freshman, newbie, entrant