- [noun] an act that fails; "his failure to pass the test"
- [noun] an event that does not accomplish its intended purpose; "the surprise party was a complete failure"
- [noun] lack of success; "he felt that his entire life had been a failure"; "that year there was a crop failure"
- [noun] a person with a record of failing; someone who loses consistently
Synonyms: loser, nonstarter, unsuccessful person
- [noun] an unexpected omission; "he resented my failure to return his call"; "the mechanic's failure to check the brakes"
- [noun] inability to discharge all your debts as they come due; "the company had to declare bankruptcy"; "fraudulent loans led to the failure of many banks"
- [noun] loss of ability to function normally; "kidney failure"
backsliding, lapse, lapsing, relapse, relapsing, reversion, reverting
default, nonpayment, nonremittal
downfall, ruin, ruination
breakdown, equipment failure
- bank failure
- crop failure
- dead duck
- flash in the pan
flop, dud, washout
disappointment, dashing hopes
heart failure, coronary failure
renal failure, kidney failure